Aftercare is the most important step to achieving great results. Lighten Up Laser Clinic promises to deliver safe and effective treatments, however, it is the patient’s responsibility to apply proper aftercare outside of our clinic. Proper aftercare helps prevent infection and any other unwanted side effects from occurring. Patients will receive a take home instruction sheet after their treatment. If you experience any extreme or unusual symptoms, please call our office immediately.
- Keep the treated area dry and clean. Gently clean the area with soap and water, and then pat to dry.
- Apply an antibiotic ointment, such as Neosporin or Aquaphor, onto the treatment site 3 times a day for the first three days following your treatment. Use a sterile bandage to cover the area.
- Avoid soaking of the treatment site. Patients may take showers 2 hours after their treatment as long as high pressure water does not directly hit the treatment area. Pools, baths, and other large bodies of water should be avoided at all costs.
- Do not be alarmed at blistering and scabbing as these are very common side effects. Blisters are a good indication that your body is working to remove the ink from your skin. If you do not form a blister, do not assume that your body is not healing well. Every patient has a unique healing process and will experience different side effects.
- Avoid picking or popping any scabs or blisters that form. Doing so can lead to infection and more unwanted serious side effects. These side effects will pop or fall off on their own. Once a blister pops naturally, apply an antibiotic ointment over the area.
- Patients may experience slight discomfort or tenderness. Apply a cold compress, vitamin E oil, or hydrocortisone cream to alleviate any itchiness or inflammation. Patients may also take Tylenol for pain relief, but avoid taking Aspirin or blood thinners as these may increase risks of bruising and bleeding.
- Avoid sun exposure and tanning activities/products. Apply an SPF of 25 or higher once the treatment site has completely healed.
- Patients are encouraged to exercise, drink plenty of water, and stay active. Patients with healthier immune systems and better blood flow have seen faster results than those with weaker immune systems. Patients can also massage around the treatment area for better blood flow.