Aftercare is the most important step to achieving great results. LIGHTEN UP Laser Clinic promises to deliver safe and effective treatments; however, it is the patient’s responsibility to apply proper aftercare outside of our clinic. Proper aftercare helps prevent infection and any other unwanted side effects from occurring. Patients will receive a take-home instruction sheet after their treatment. If you experience any extreme or unusual symptoms, please call our office immediately.
- Keep the treated area dry and clean. Gently clean the area with soap and water, and then pat to dry.
- Apply an antibiotic ointment, such as Neosporin or Aquaphor, onto the treatment site three times a day for the first three days following your treatment. Use a sterile bandage to cover the area.
- Avoid prolonged soaking of the treatment site. Patients may take showers two hours after their treatment as long as high pressure water does not directly hit the treatment area. Pools, baths, and other large bodies of water should be avoided until the inflammation has subsided.
- Do not be alarmed at blistering and scabbing as these are very common side effects. Blisters are a good indication that your body is working to remove the ink from your skin. If you do not form a blister, do not assume that your body is not healing well. Every patient has a unique healing process and will experience different effects.
- Avoid picking or popping any scabs or blisters that form. Doing so can lead to infection and more unwanted side effects. Any scabs or blisters will pop or fall off on their own. Once a blister pops naturally, apply an antibiotic ointment over the area.
- Patients may experience slight discomfort or tenderness. Apply a cold compress, vitamin E oil, Benadryl cream or hydrocortisone cream to alleviate any itchiness or inflammation. Patients may also take Tylenol for pain relief, but avoid taking Ibuprofen, Aspirin or blood thinners as these may increase risks of bruising and bleeding.
- Avoid sun exposure and tanning activities and tanning products. Apply an SPF of 25 or higher once the treatment site has completely healed.
- Patients are encouraged to exercise, drink plenty of water, and stay active. Patients with healthier immune systems and better blood flow have seen faster results than those with weaker immune systems. Patients are encouraged to massage the treatment area 5-10 minutes daily for better blood flow and faster fading.